I have a freezer full of Alaskan salmon and I eat it at least twice a week. It is low in mercury, high in omega 3, and sustainable. This dinner entrée is satisfying, easy to make for a week night or for a special meal with friends. If entertaining you may want to splurge and make toasted sour dough bread croutons with butter and garlic. If your friends enjoy a low carb lifestyle then they won’t miss the bread.
Short cuts and fast food
Instead of this salmon preparation you could substitute my orange braised salmon recipe or use any leftover fish or chicken. Serve with a side of steamed broccoli and fresh fruit.
I have made this salad with rotisserie chicken and bagged lettuce that I purchased on the way home from the office after a busy day. This is a fast food that can be on the table in minutes. There’s no reason to stop for take out.
Citrus Salmon Caesar Salad
• 1 8 oz Pacific salmon filet
• 1 head romaine lettuce
• 1 tsp salt divided
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• ½ c water or white wine
• 2 lemons, 1 sliced, 1 juiced
• 1 garlic clove
• 1-2 anchovy or 1 tsp anchovy paste
• 1 tsp brown mustard
• 1 organic, fresh egg – (Raw eggs may contain salmonella so infants and immune compromised individuals should not eat raw egg. I only use farm fresh eggs from a farmer I know. Substitute bottled Caesar salad dressing if avoiding eggs.)
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 oz shaved parmesan cheese, divided
1. Rinse and slice romaine lettuce, spin or pat dry, set aside.
2. Lightly salt and pepper the salmon with skin side down.
3. Place lemon slices in skillet with white wine or water and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Place salmon over lemon slices and cover. Braise 10-15 minutes until salmon is no longer lucent, it should be uniformly pink, don’t over cook.
5. Prepare salad dressing (if using bottled dressing skip to salad assembly). You can also substitute 1 cup of mayonnaise for the olive oil and raw egg in this recipe. Whirl egg, garlic, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in food processor until frothy, add juice of one lemon and continue to process until combined. Add 1 oz of parmesan and combine in short bursts leaving pieces of cheese intact.
6. Assemble salad by combining salad dressing with romaine in a bowl to coat and toss. You will have leftover salad dressing. Reduce your calories by reducing the amount of dressing you use. Flake the cooked salmon into large bite sized pieces and arrange over salad and serve. Shave parmesan cheese over salmon
Traditional Caesar salad uses bread croutons but I skip them in this low carb salad.
Serving size is 4 oz of salmon, 2 cups of lettuce, ¼ cup of dressing, 1 oz of cheese
550 kcal Carb: 7.5 gm, Protein: 36 gm, Fat: 43 gm (includes good monounsaturated, omega 3 fatty acids and some saturated fat)
Weight Watchers pp – 13 points
You can lower the weight watcher points and calories by using less dressing or substituting a squeeze of lemon and a tablespoon of olive oil for the dressing. If I order salad in a restaurant when I am not in control of the dressing then I ask for the dressing on the side. I will often dip my fork in the dressing with each bite instead of drowning the food in calories.
Take what you need and savor every bite.