Who needs pizza crust when you can have all the pizza toppings without the wheat crust? I rarely eat flour based foods and I frankly don’t miss bread very often. I am not afraid of bread but I would rather fill my plate with nutritious lower carbohydrate fare. I love pizza toppings but I hate to order pizza and throw out the bread crust. These crustless pizzas hit the spot when I’m craving pizza but want to avoid the carbohydrates. The mushrooms provide vitamin D. The tomato paste gives you an antioxidant boost. Low fat cheeses are a good source of protein and calcium. You can reduce the fat grams by choosing lower fat cheeses, skipping the cheeses and meats and loading up on the veggies. You can substitute vegan cheese for a vegan alternative. The possibilities are endless. Serve these with fruit and a green salad for a well-rounded fast calorie controlled meal.
Take what you need and savor every bite.
Portobello Crust Less Pizza
• 2 Portobello mushrooms, gills removed
• 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
• 1/2 cup Italian seasoned tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil shredded
• 1 spicy pork sausage link
• Substitute any traditional or non-traditional pizza toppings: shredded spinach, caramelized onions, chopped bell pepper, olives, and pineapple. For meat eaters: sausage, pepperoni, cooked chicken, ham.
• 1/2 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prep the mushrooms by scraping out the gills and stem. Layer ricotta, tomato paste, toppings and mozzarella cheese Place pizzas in a covered casserole dish and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.
Serving size is 1 pizza, made with sausage.
Kcal: 358 Carb: 6.5 gm, Protein: 13 gm, Fat: 11 gm
Weight watchers: 4.5 points
Substitute any Traditional or non-traditional pizza toppings: shredded spinach, caramelized onions, chopped bell pepper, olives, and pineapple. For meat eaters: sausage, pepperoni, cooked chicken, ham.