The holidays are rich with parties, potlucks, open houses, and celebrations. By all means put on your best party dress and rock every party. Here are a few ideas to help you keep your fitness goals on track.
1) Wear a figure hugging fabulous outfit. You won’t want to overeat and be uncomfortable. Wear Spanx not elastic waist expando pants.
2) Bring a dish that meets your dietary goals. Fancy crudités and a lowfat Greek yogurt caramelized onion dip, perhaps?
3) Plan your attack. Which choices are special, “once a year, not to be missed, totally worth the calories” dishes? Have a scoop of your favorites. Fill a salad plate with the “best of the best” foods and then ….
4) Walk away from the food and turn your back on the buffet table.
5) Start a conversation with someone interesting or be that someone interesting. Smile, everyone will notice your sparkle.
Caramelized Onion and Greek Yogurt Dip
1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt, I used Fage
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 onion, you will have leftover caramelized onions.
2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dill weed
Salt and pepper to taste
Thinly slice onion and sautée in a dash of olive oil until golden and caramelized. About 20 minutes.
Combine yogurt and cheese in a food processor until creamy. Stir in onions, pepper, and seasonings. Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately with crudités or let sit overnight in the refrigerator to allow flavors to mingle.
Serving suggestion: Serve with colorful cut vegetables; pepper slices, snap peas, carrot sticks, for a lowfat protein packed snack or appetizer.