Nom, Nom: Friday Frictioneers

Photo credit @David Stewart
Photo credit @David Stewart

Sensible shoes and a rather bland appearance made Sara the perfect courier. Strolling past the fence with forced yet stellar nonchalance, Sara pulled the letter out of her pocket discretely and smoothed the creases. She took a final whiff, the perfume had been her brilliant idea, and wedged it in the crack exactly as instructed. The rusty gate let out a satisfying groan and the deed was done.

Little did she know, garden gnomes are partial to Chanel. She watched in horror as the secret missive disappeared down the imps throat.

Sensible Sara was no longer the perfect courier.

image
Photo credit @HGTVgardens.com

For more Friday Fictioneers tidbits of fiction – go here.

1. ansumani says:

You can’t win with those garden gnomes. Funny twist at the end there!

2. Dear Tracey,

Now I’ll know never to leave a note on a gate where garden gnomes are present. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

1. Well at least not scented letters. ha ha

2. And …You’ll never know what that note said either.

1. Gasp of disappointment 😯

3. Margaret says:

Obviously Sara missed the training session on gnomes. Fun story with an enjoyable twist.

1. I was thinking the same thing. Back to Spy School in her sensible shoes!

4. Archon's Den says:

Almost anything can come to life here at Friday Fictioneers’ Corner – including your imagination. Well done. 🙂

5. draliman says:

Uh-oh. I’m guessing she used used Chanel on herself as well that morning? Great story!

6. k rawson says:

I never knew that about gnomes! I’m going to have to be more careful 😉 Great story!

7. gahlearner says:

That is very valuable knowledge if you want to catch a gnome. Bait with Chanel and Bingo. What an imaginative and funny story.

8. what gnom-enclature!
    Randy

9. Wow, foiled when least expected. And she would have gotten away with it, if it wasn’t for those meddling gnomes. 🙂 Love the title too.
    -David

10. Right? She tried to sweeten the deal too!

11. LOL. She thought she’d succeeded. Blast those gnomes and they look so innocent too.

1. Note to self: always follow spy instructions to the letter, no inprov!

12. rgayer55 says:

That’s why girls in high heels make the best couriers.

13. Amy Reese says:

Ah, love this. This is funny because I thought about a letter with this prompt, too, before deciding on my story. I like your perfume angle. Those gnomes are not to be trusted!

1. Never trust a gnome. I always say that.

14. erinleary says:

Doggone paper eating gnomes. Maybe they need a Coke to go without. 😄

1. Ha ha , Yes the fragrance of Coke can be quite seductive but they’re better off eating a complex carbohydrate like paper.

15. A totally unexpected twist from you Tracey! Love it. This is wry and clever, and that ending makes it funny as well. Nice job!

1. Thanks Dawn. I can do wry. I’m sarcastic by nature.

1. Me too! I think I was nursed on sarcasm. 😉

16. I’m always learning something new in these stories. I never knew garden gnomes liked perfume. If I ever want to leave a note in a gate, I’ll check for gnomes first. Cute story, Tracey. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne

17. Now, this is exactly how garden gnomes get a bad rap, people writing things like this! LOL! Cute story! Next time I suggest, “Red Door.”

1. Or maybe “Poison” would be the best choice.