Exit the Scoundrel #Friday Fictioneers

image
Photo Credit@ Jean L. Hays

Exit the Scoundrel

by Tracey Delaplain

Restless sleep and endless revisions fueled the writer’s annoyance. Mr. Edwards, a minor nondescript character, had disappeared halfway through chapter 13, leaving her with a plot hole, an angry cast and a throbbing headache.

“Your coffee ma’am. ย A charming man in a cloak sent this over. He said to tell the lady that he rather liked playing the scoundrel, so you’re to protect your dreams tonight.”

Finger on the delete button she replied, “I will not negotiate with a literary terrorist.”

For more 100 word Flash Fiction go here where Rochelle Wisoff-Fields hosts Friday Fictioneers.

1. blondeusk says:

Happy New Year my friend ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Dear Tracey,

One has to be careful of literary terrorists. Stand your ground, Sistah! But what of Mr. Edwards?
    Fun read.

Shalom,

Rochelle

1. I think it’s those terrorists that give us the most inspiration. Thank you Rochelle.

2. A literary terrorist!
    I love it!

1. Me too. Of course she probably protests too much.

3. Archon's Den says:

I’ll bet it hurts to get poked right in the delete button. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. ceayr says:

Very entertaining.
    But always remember to Save before Delete, you might change your mind later.

1. I don’t think she’ll delete him but we shall see.

5. Sandra says:

Literary terrorist – wonderful image. I’ve met one or two. Happy New Year, Tracey!

1. Thank you Sandy. Characters can definately invade your dreams and make demands.

6. I love the way this was written.
    I presume she’s interacting with her characters right?
    ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Yes, Mr. Edwards can’t seem to stay where he is written. You can search for more flash fiction about Mr. Edwards on my site. He’s one of my favorite characters.

1. Oh ok.
        He sounds interesting.

7. draliman says:

Oh, that Mr Edwards. He’s out and about and looking for trouble!

8. Dee says:

Nicely done, especially liked the notion of a ‘literary terrorist’.
    Happy New Year!

9. Dale says:

Awww! She could never delete Mr. Edwards! He may leave holes in her plot but is fodder for Friday Fictioneers!
    Happy New Year, Tracey!

1. All true and thank you Dale.

10. Joy Pixley says:

Literary terrorist — I love it! Great spin on the writer’s experience with our characters. They really do get uppity sometimes, don’t they?

11. mjlstories says:

I think he’s already out there in Friday Fiction land – too late to delete and he knows it! What a tease he is!

12. plaridel says:

what a charming story. truly enjoyed it. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. luckyjc007 says:

Fun, enjoyable read! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Thank you. I’m glad you liked it.

14. I think no delete will ever help against a literary terrorist..

1. Exactly Bjorn. Empty threats by the author.

15. Nice one. Write him in and give him a painful death. Enjoy the coffee.

1. I think he’s gone rogue so she probably can’t delete him if she tried.

16. rgayer55 says:

I’ve got some characters taking over a story right now. When I started the piece, I thought it might go 2,500 words. Now, I’m pretty sure it will run twice that–maybe longer. Fortunately, their not creating any plot holes, so I just let them run free like a bunch of wild mountain goats.

1. That’s a good problem to have. My work in progress is stuck so I wish my characters would run amoke.
      Thanks Russell.

17. Margaret says:

I hope she gets her flow back quickly and puts the cloaked villain in his rightful place. Great story – I like your Mr Edwards pieces.

1. He just won’t stay where he is written!

18. Hilarious, Tracey. Literary terrorist and he even wore a cape. She’s brave. I think I might be wary of sleeping that night. Well done. ๐Ÿ˜€ — Suzanne

1. I also wanted to add, Happy New Year, Tracey, to you and yours. ๐Ÿ™‚ — Suzanne