It is Meyer lemon season in Baja. These little globes of sunshine are falling from my neighbors’ trees. They are pleasantly fragrant with a sweeter floral lemony taste. They’re delicious in desserts, marinades, salad dressings and drinks.
When in doubt, make a Meyer Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake.
Here are just a few recipes I want to try with these precious gems.
The inspiration for my cake is an old recipe torn out of Whole Living by Martha Stewart. I used my homemade Greek yogurt, fruity Spanish olive oil, almond flour and Mexican Meyer lemons.
Meyer Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake was easy to make. The batter is enough for an 8” round springform or three 6” springform pans. Drizzle with Meyer lemon simple syrup and powdered sugar and top with easy candied lemon slices.
Meyer Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake
Rich moist Meyer lemon cake made with almond flour and yogurt, drizzled with glaze and candied lemons. Perfect for a brunch or garden tea. Bake these in 6” springform pans for a perfect shared dessert for two.
- 1 Cup Flour (More for dusting the pan )
- 1/2 Cup Almond flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup olive oil (More for oiling the pan)
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Meyer lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons Meyer lemon zest
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Sugared lemon glaze
- 1 Meyer lemon sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, set aside. Combine eggs and sugar and whisk until frothy. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour into three 6” springform pans or one 8” Pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Combine thin lemon slices, seeds removed, sugar and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes until syrup is thickened and lemons are translucent. Remove lemon slices. Whisk powdered sugar into lemon syrup.
Allow cake to cool and then top with lemon glaze and lemon slices.
Pin it for later